Wednesday, June 21, 2006

My "good" sister

I was reading back through this blog and discovered that, though I've often spoken of my youngest sister and her issues, I've rarely spoken of our middle sister, aka The Good Sister. I feel guilty about this, because of all people, I should write about her. She has always been and continues to be a great joy in my life. So, here are some things you should know about A.

A is 5 years younger than me, 2 years older than youngest sister, M. Naturally, with such an age difference between us, we didn't have a lot in common until we were older. Youngest sister was so much younger that she seemed like a baby most of my growing up life, but A always seemed very self-sufficient and not much in need of help like the baby was. A was always very sweet, very placid, even -- someone everyone liked. She had a good friend, P, who lived around the corner, and they were always together. I know it used to annoy her that M would always tag along behind her, but she tolerated it for the most part, because she and M were also very close.

I have the most beautiful pictures of A, from when she was a baby. She had the most beautiful white-blonde curly hair, and sea-foam green eyes, or so they looked to me. She also had cute little toes, which I noticed in a picture of her, my brother and me, swinging like mad together on a porch-type swing in the backyard of our 'old house'. She truly looked like an angel.

At times growing up, she was a cheerleader for the community football team; in high school, she was in the Flag Corps for a time. I took her to New Orleans once when she was about 15, I'm guessing, and she walked in a Mardi Gras parade along with me and a girlfriend. Probably not the most responsible thing I've ever done, but it was fun and she was no trouble.

I also used to take her and M to movies with me -- I remember taking them to "Gone With the Wind" and "Sophie's Choice". They tell me I took them to the mall alot, which I don't doubt. I used to cut their hair -- "feathered" it, as was the fashion in the 70s and early 80s.

When I lived in Memphis, I always loved it when A visited me. I have more fun with her than I do with most people. She makes me laugh so hard I nearly (and sometimes beyond nearly!) wet my pants. This runs in our family (no pun intended), so I can't help it!

She married a wonderful man who had 3 children by a previous marriage. Naturally, she was and is a wonderful stepmother. But she wanted to have her own children, like most women. Unfortunately, like me, and like my mother, and I think even our youngest sister, she had PCOS, which complicated her fertility. But with a little assistance -- better living through chemistry, as they say -- she gave birth to my absolutely magnificent nephew nearly 10 years ago. Like his mother, he's the light of my life, and amazingly smart to boot.

She has been the most hands-on mom I've ever known, participating in the Band Boosters club when her step-children were in high school. She and her husband manned the concession stand which funded, at least partially, this band's many out of state trips. They also served as chaperones on most of the trips, which couldn't have been easy. Now, she's the room mother for my nephew's class, and has been, I think, since he started school. She's also begun working at the school's library, which keeps her "in the know". I visited my nephew in his classroom one day when I was in Florida, and it was easy to see that he is much loved by teachers and students alike.

The reason for my visit was that A had a total hysterectomy, and asked me to come stay with her while she recuperated. I was so honored and flattered and grateful that she asked me. I was thrilled to be able to do something for her -- she's the most grateful person in the world, and so easy to care for. When I visited the school, everyone from janitors to the principal, teachers and students, asked after her. They were all missing her greatly and looking very forward to her return. I was so proud & happy for her. I'm glad others recognize what an angel she is.

She's also quite talented, having become a practiced quilter, among other things. I doubt there's a limit to her creativity, but she focuses her talents on quilting at the moment. She has made some beautiful pieces for everyone but herself, I believe. Thanksgiving before last, she made me a tablecloth while she was sitting at my kitchen table. That just blew me away! She made it look so easy that I bought some quilting material and a pattern, thinking I would try it too. I have to remember to give it to her next time I see her, cuz it's been sitting in my closet for a year & a half now. lol

Anyway, that's my middle sister -- mommy, wife, sister, friend, peacemaker. I hope I get to see her soon. Hopefully we'll find some time this summer to get together. She has no idea how much I miss her, and when I try to tell her, she just brushes it off -- she's quite modest, in case I hadn't mentioned that. Just one more thing that makes me love her so much.

Peace, everyone,

WIP

2 comments:

Cathy said...

That was a beautiful post for your sister. If she reads here she will be in tears. I think if your sister's wrote about you, they would say the same things about how kind and caring you are...*hugs*

Genevieve Netz said...

She sounds like such a sweet lady. I can identify a little with both you and her. I was the middle child of three, but I was also the older sister by five years of my little sister.