Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Just call me Grace

So, after a lovely Christmas and safe traveling, we made it home last night around 6pm. Apparently, there had been rain while we were away. (Cue ominous music) I got out of the car and retrieved a couple of bags to carry inside. I began to walk down the slope beside the driveway when my left leg took off and my right leg didn't. I ended up prone on my big ass, bags still intact, but right leg bent underneath me. When the bending was occurring, there was probably also a little breaking going on.

We got me inside somehow and immediately began RICE -- rest, ice, compression and elevation. Then my darling sweet hubby ran to the pharmacy and brought home all kinds of devices to wrap or otherwise encase my ankle. We continued RICE and ibuprofen all night, and went to my doctor's office this morning. I figured that since I wasn't dying or in excruciating pain, it wasn't an emergency and could wait till the morning. The PA I saw sent me for an x-ray, thinking it may only be a sprain. However, he phoned us within about 30 minutes of leaving the facility saying that the Radiologist thinks there may be a tibia fracture going on here.

So, I'm laid up, for the first time in my life, and really, *really* don't like it. Tomorrow I see an orthopaedist, who, fortunately, is the same Doc who beautifully corrected hubby's DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis a couple of years ago. My PA said that he wanted me to just go ahead to the Ortho because the Radiologist said they could do a CT to determine if the bone is actually broken, but that considering the extent of the injury, the Ortho would probably cast it anyway. Oy vey!!!

New Year's Eve won't find me tripping the light fantastic this year, but still, things could be worse! I hope that having a cast will make maneuvering around a little easier. Using crutches is quite difficult when you've never had to use them before. I'm trying to learn not to feel guilty about asking for things from hubby, but it's difficult not to when you're so dependent on someone else! Lucky for me he's an angel, and the most good-natured guy on the planet. Y'all keep him in your prayers as he nurses me through this period of, let's say, adjustments. lol

And for heaven's sake, BE CAREFUL! I know this accident was relatively unavoidable -- I didn't trip or even lose my footing -- it was just a simple matter of wet leaves, wet grass, and wet mud combined with an unsuspecting person stepping on such.

Oh! I just realized! Now I'm just like my local blog celebrity SuburbanTurmoil! Except for the gorgeous, young & pregnant parts, of course. Be sure to check out her blog if you haven't already. She has a much better story about breaking her foot than I do anyway.

Peace,
WIP

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there,did you get your cast today?Still swollen?Anyway my name is David and I fractured my foot in 2 places and in a cast,know what your going through and it does get better.Feel free to e-mail me,mortgagebank1@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Oh no! WIP, I'm so sorry to hear about this, but I'm glad you're (relatively) okay. I'm sure it will be terribly sad, not being able to dance on bars this New Year's Eve, though. ;) xoxoxo

Wrkinprogress said...

To anonymous/David: No cast, just a walking boot. I'm glad I can at least step down on my foot -- that would really be limiting if not. Never had much swelling, considering, plus the compression and ice helped a lot, I think. How did you injure yourself?

GG: I don't need no steenkeeng bars to dance on -- I do a mean chair cha cha! lol You be my second and dance in my place, won't you? Oh, and hit the Moet & Chandon White Star a few times for me as well. :) Although, I may have to imbibe just a little on NYE, too!